The ICGT is currently inviting applications for a full-time position for the Imam. The responsibilities and qualifications of the Imam are abbreviated below. A more detailed job description will be available for review at the time of the interview. After reviewing the job responsibilities and qualifications, if you would like to apply for the position, please e-mail a cover letter, your resumé and three letters of reference to firstname.lastname@example.org
1. Lead the daily prayers, with special emphasis on fajr and isha. Lead Juma’a, Eid prayer and the nightly Taraweeh and Qiyam prayers during Ramadan.
2. Conduct religious, educational, and spiritual programs for all ages with an emphasis on Muslim youth.
3. Provide advice to the Weekend School and the full-time Islamic School.
4. Officiate in marriage ceremonies and provide funeral services.
5. Provide family, matrimonial, and divorce counseling.
6. Play an active role in fundraising for the ICGT.
7. Provide visitation of patients in hospitals, nursing homes and other health care facilities.
8. Have a good grasp of current socio-political events, and the ability to address such issues in the light of Islamic doctrine.
9. Maintain an online presence and regular office hours, for community members who seek counsel and guidance.
10. Attend monthly Council meetings and provide a monthly report of all activities, and also provide information to facilitate a yearly imam evaluation.
11. Foster good relations with the Greater Toledo non-Muslim community.
1. A Bachelor’s or higher degree in Islamic studies from a recognized Islamic institution.
2. Comprehensive knowledge of the Quran, Sunnah, Hadith, Seerah, tafseer-ul Quran, Fiqh and Shariah.
3. Memorized major portion of the Quran, preferably Hafiz-ul-Quran.
4. Mastered rules of tajweed, to ensure correct recitation of the Quran.
5. Effective communication skills in Arabic and English.
6. Experience with introducing Islam to people of other faiths.
7. Experience with youth, family, matrimonial and divorce counseling.
8. Experienced with giving clear, effective, and motivational Juma’a khutbahs.
9. Understand the challenges faced by Muslims in N. America and guiding all age groups.
10. Possession of high moral character and integrity and practicing principles of Islamic character.
11. Must possess a clear criminal record and submit to a thorough background check.
1. A degree in a non-religious subject from a recognized institution.
2. Previous experience as an Imam.
3. Experience with conflict prevention and resolution.
4. Ability to effectively represent the ICGT in public fora, interfaith dialogue, and deal with the media.
5. Experience with conducting workshops and seminars.
US citizen, permanent resident or possessing a valid work visa.
Salary and benefits
The compensation package is competitive and commensurate with qualifications and experience.